PICTURES: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin – car fans' delight as world's fastest gather at palace

MORE than 7,000 people visited Blenheim Palace at the weekend to catch a glimpse of the world’s finest supercars and organisers have now revealed bigger plans for next year.

The Blenheim Palace Classic and Supercar show drew in the crowds but left motorists frustrated as traffic built up throughout the day on the roads surrounding the palace.

A thousand vehicles – some rare but all prestigious – were lined up in the grounds as motor enthusiasts and curious observers explored the displays.

Organisers Salon Prive, who have been running a series of events called Concours d’Elegance at the palace for the past three years, said the event was growing each year.

Hannah Burgess, on behalf of the company, said: “The event has been another hugely resounding success at Blenheim Palace. “Since moving to Blenheim three years ago the event has grown in size and stature and is unquestionably the finest automotive event of its type in the UK.

“The Duke of Marlborough is always a fantastic host and huge supporter of Salon Prive, a Concours d’Elégance now which really does rival the very best in the world.”

A special tribute to 70 years of Ferrari was also exhibited as a red sea of Ferraris graced the palace lawns.

Classic cars such as the Aston Martin DB6 fought against modern Lamborghinis and Bentleys for the attention of the crowds.

The company revealed it was working on ‘major new developments and show enhancements’ for its return to Blenheim Palace next year.

The cars on display may have been capable of speeds of up to 200mph but those queuing to see them had to crawl along the A44.

One of the event’s participants, Richard Boon, said: “This was yet another poor management of traffic for Blenheim palace event. It queuing in all directions for miles around Woodstock.”

Last year crowds for Countryfile Live were forced to queue for hours as the traffic plan for the BBC event was heavily criticised.

But a new plan this year eased the congestion with organisers saying they learned from their mistakes.

Following Sunday’s problems Blenheim Palace said: “We are sorry for the traffic delays.

“The volume of this new event was much higher han expected.

“Operations were altered as soon as possible to ease flows.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Google Alert – classic car news

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*